Friday, August 08, 2008

Look What I Made

It's a gigantic, yummy fig.

Well, I didn't make it so much as I picked it off the tree in my backyard. In fact, it's not even as though I planted the tree. The tree came with the house. My sole contribution to making this fig was waiting for it to ripen before I picked it.

Figs aren't fruits; they're flowers. Unlike fruits, figs will not ripen off the tree so you have to wait until they are perfectly ripe to pick them. I've been checking these figs for weeks. That's a lot of waiting considering I don't think I'd ever had a fresh fig before. Of course, I do love the fig newton so I was pretty sure the fresh fig would be good.

Patience pays off. Just look at how perfectly ripe it is. Delicious. Fresh figs from my yard. How awesome is that?


Apparently, the tree will yield two crops each year. One small early crop (this one) and a later, heavier sweeter crop in the fall. I'm not much of a gardener but I can tell you this. Figs take forever to ripen. Here are the figs of the future.

2 comments:

  1. I am green with fig envy! I've tried to grow fig trees several times, but to no avail. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beware. Animals also love figs. I am figless and sad due to possums and raccoons.

    ReplyDelete