Monday, January 26, 2009

Report - Carlsbad AKA When Gravity Attacks

On mile two, I fell. Hard. (I won't go into the details, but I'm likely to kick the next person who stops dead in front of me in the race pack. Hello, go off to the side to tie your shoe. There are 8,000 people running this race.)

My knee got some road rash and my ankle was twisted. I sat on the curb for awhile and assessed the damage. A very kind woman from the Cure JM Foundation ran over to help. She was a total sweetheart. In fact the Cure JM Foundation had great volunteers all over the course.

Once I regathered myself, I took a few tentative steps and decided that I could keep going. In retrospect, I got very lucky. With 11 miles to go, I probably should have stopped. Honestly as long as I didn't run hard my ankle didn't hurt at all until the last quarter mile.

All in all, I had a really nice race. I saw a few of my mentees and a friend from work. I was strong all day and didn't ever really get tired. I could have gone another few miles if I'd have had to do it.

Now I've got a nicely swollen ankle, but I'm still planning to do the Surf City Half Marathon next weekend.

And now, the parade of injury photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment