Thursday, October 09, 2008

So Long Rose Bowl Half Marathon

It's been swelteringly hot here which can only mean one thing - I've got a race this weekend!

We're off to the Long Beach Half Marathon. This one is a girls trip and I'm looking forward to it. Honestly, other than my weekly long runs I haven't been running much lately. Instead I've spent a lot of workouts in the pool. It's been almost 2 months since my last half marathon and that's too long for me. Having a race on the immediate horizon keeps me focused.

In other race news, I've changed my race calendar again. I'm dropping the Rose Bowl Half Marathon. They are doing something I find annoying which is forcing everyone to pay active.com fees. The race is $105 dollars total, $85 race registration + 10 bucks in mandatory active.com registration fees + 10 bucks for parking. I emailed them a few times about mailing a registration and by-passing the active.com fee and they never bothered to respond. If you want to charge 105 bucks, fine, but don't bury additional charges in parking and active.com. Nothing against active.com; they're a local San Diego company and they provide a good service. However, given the choice between a 10 dollar active.com fee or a 42 cent postage stamp, I'll use the stamp.

So that's it for the Rose Bowl Half Marathon. We did the inaugural Rose Bowl race last year and it was a nice event, but not worth $105 bucks. Dropping the Rose Bowl half makes room for the Pasadena Half Marathon and the White Rock Half Marathon in Dallas. Both of those races look good. No regrets on dumping Rose Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment