Wednesday, August 11, 2010

In The Long Run

With all the triathlon training, I haven't done any long runs since June. I've done the occassional 7 or 8 mile run, but nothing substancial. 

For the last week Steve's mom was staying with us.  She got to spend lots of time with me, but no time alone with her son. On Saturday, she and Steve went on a long car trip to visit family.  I decided to opt out of the trip - that way they'd get some time alone together and I'd get a Saturday to run.  Whee!

I decided to set out for a 15 miler. That was a silly sort of goal since I wasn't really prepped for that distance and it's longer than any race I'll do this year. There's no reason for me to run 15 miles; I just wanted to run.  Honestly, I think the lack of long runs has made me a little bit disagreeable.

I didn't have a route mapped; I just ran where I felt like it.  I also didn't have the right nutrition so I stopped and bought a cookie and diet coke at about mile 12.  All in all, it wasn't a great run..  I walked a fair amount in the final miles (which might have had something to do with refueling with Cokes and cookies).  But it was nice to have the time alone with my running and my thoughts.  Sometimes I just need to run until I can make sense of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment