Friday, April 22, 2011

An Example of Time Suction

Here is a perfect example of how all the preparation stuff can be a black hole of time.

Training Plan 
 I Did               
Swim:

Warm-Up:
2 x 150
Main Set: 
3 x 500, 
1 is RPE 3, 
2 is RPE4, 
3 is RPE 5
Cool Down
150 easy



Weight Lifting:
30 Minutes


Swim:
Warm-Up
2 x 150
Main Set: 
3 x 500, 
1 is RPE 3, 
2 is RPE4, 
3 is RPE 5
Cool Down
150 easy
Planned Time: 
40 Minutes


Training Time: 
70 minutes
Prep Time:
30 minutes           
Steve broke a spoke on the wheel of his hill climbing bike. Since he needs that bike for this weekend, I took the wheel to the bike shop for him. It should have taken 5 minutes to drop off the wheel and ask them to rebuild it. Except it's a special wheel that they need to send out for rebuild and that would take a few weeks.

Okay, I asked if they could just replace the spoke. Unfortunately, this special wheel has very special spokes.  The guys at the bike shop sorted through boxes and boxes of spokes and couldn't find one to match.  Oh, and to order the special, special spoke for the special wheel?  There's only one vendor and he's super slow.  That order will take a few weeks too.  After an hour, I left the bike shop with a broken wheel and no clear path to get it fixed.

If you include driving to bike shops and phone calls,  it probably took us 4 hours to get that spoke replaced. 

Training Notes: Yesterday was my second long swim of the week.  I'm completely stoked about swimming a mile without fatigue, especially considering the 8 months I took off from swimming.  The the weight training I did in the off season really pays off when I swim.  I could have easily swam a second mile without fatigue in my back and shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment