Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gear Guide - Fingertip Lap Counter

Training Plan 
 I Did               
Swim:
Warm-Up:
200 Swim
200 Kick
200 Pull


Main Set:
16 X 50
Speedwork


Cool Down:
200 Easy

Swim:
Warm-Up:
200 Swim
200 Kick
200 Pull

Main Set:
16 X 50
Speedwork

Cool Down:
200 Easy
Workout Time: 
40 minutes
Total Time: 
120 minutes           
One of the things I like about swimming is the oasis of calm in the pool.  No one bugs you.  No one wants to talk.  You can't hear or see your Crackberry.  It's like mediation time for me.  Unfortunately, I get lost in my thoughts and I forget to count my laps.


Speedo Aqualap to the rescue.  People seem to dislike this product on Amazon, but it's been awesome for me.  It's super easy to operate in the water and you don't need to stop swimming to count a lap.  It's very easy and intuitive to use.  You just tap it with your thumb while you're swimming.  Another nice thing is it has a little chime that you can hear underwater.  That chime lets you know that you did, in fact, count that lap.   Plus, I can easily read the screen underwater and see how lightenin' fast that last lap was.  (No more stopping and pulling off my goggles to see the timer clock.)  The downside is that the band isn't adjustable.  Either this is going to fit you or not - no adjusting.  I can't imagine that it would work for someone with large or petite hands.

Final verdict: You don't need this, but it's nice to have.  It lets you go on autopilot in the pool and then go home and analyze your lap data.

Training notes. Yesterday my shoulders finally protested the mile-a-day swimming.  When I hit the pool, my shoulders were tired.  I powered through my laps, but I'm looking forward to my rest day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment