Monday, May 09, 2011

Three Weeks Down, Ten to Go

I'm officially through week 3 of the Half Ironman plan. In the last 21 days, I've been rock solid on training. I did miss the biking section of my workout yesterday, because it was rainy. That's the only miss in the last 3 weeks..

Here is what I've learned so far:

Treat each week as a unit.  I can shift around workouts during the week, but there's no working ahead into next week or carrying over missed workouts. Every Sunday night, I hang the new week's training calendar on the fridge. Every Sunday is a victory and every Monday is a fresh start.

Sunday must be a rest day. I've been trying to use Thursday as my rest day because I need to commute round trip to Burbank. That ends up being a 14 hour workday which starts at 5:30 AM. There's no way I can do a workout on Thursday. Guess what, a 14 hour workday is not restful and recuperative. I need Sunday Funday for my own mental health. I can do a swim or a bike ride with my husband, but I can't do some mega-workout.

Get enough sleep. Right now, I need between 8 and 9 hours of sleep each night. When I'm not in full training I need about 6 or 7 hours. I'm incredibly fortunate that I can telecommute some mornings. I can sleep until 7:45 then immediately start working at 8. When other people take their lunch break, I commute to the office (a whole 3 miles!)

Not everyone can be supportive. No one can always be supportive. And that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment