Monday, March 26, 2007

The Good and the Bad

I'm trying to do a better job following the training schedule. By better I mean, follow it at all. This showing up on Saturday having done nothing all week is starting to get me into trouble. At the the higher mileage, I can't fake it. I'm not a 20 year old; I don't spring back.

Per the training calendar yesterday I was supposed to go for an easy 30 minutes and today for an easy hour. Yesterday I went about 45-50 minutes, but at a slower pace than I'd have liked. Then I stopped at Starbucks and walked home. Ah well, it's something.

This morning I was all set to do my hour - then I realized I'd scheduled a phone interview for 8 a.m. That's when I made decision that was good and bad. I thought something is better than nothing - I'd do a fast paced 30 minutes then phone the candidate. It started well enough, but I was really hustling (for me). Then there was a rather sharp pain in either the front of my hip or the tippy-top of my thigh. I thought I'd be able to walk it out so I kept moving for another 20 minutes or so, but it never felt significantly better.

It still hurts a few hours and a few ibuprofen later. I'm hoping I can do the 8 miles tomorrow, but that may be an overly optimistic view of my body's ability to recover.