Monday, June 30, 2008

Chi Running Update

I'm running more consistently these days. I started with 3-2s, that's 3 minutes running to 2 minutes walking. Now I'm up to 5-1s. I can run consistently for about 6-7 miles, after that I want to walk. That feels pretty good considering I didn't run at all until about a month ago.

Ages ago I promised an update on the Chi running technique. The seminar I took was lead by two great instructors Ben from Effortless Running, and Shelli from Joy In Movement. When I can do it, Chi running is really effortless. The problem is I can't consistently manage to do it. Sometimes I'm flailing around and I look like a complete dork. Usually I try to focus on one Chi technique at a time.

The thing is that when I get it, I absolutely know I've got it. My whole body feels aligned to the run and suddenly I'm about 2 minutes per mile faster. When it happens, it's that good - faster, easier. Then the whole thing falls apart and I'm back to my slow, gawky self.

Overall, I'm really satisfied with the Chi running class I took. In fact, I'd like to take a refresher course in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment