Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cell Phone Camera - Deep in the The Heart Edition

This weekend I'm in San Antonio getting ready for tomorrow's race.

I had almost forgotten how much I love Texas. I'm very happy living in Southern California and never want to move but Texas will always have a very special place deep in my heart. Texas was the first place I ever really lived on my own without college or grad school to parent me. When I stepped off the plane yesterday I got teary...it was so good to be safely home.

Upon arrival, job 1 was to get myself an ice cold Shiner Bock beer. Upcoming race be damned. I need a Shiner! Just like Guinness tastes better in Ireland, Shiner is better in Texas.

Today I spent most of day reading my book in the garden at the Alamo. To get ready for the trip, I've been reading Three Roads to the Alamo. Sitting there, in The Cradle of Texas Liberty, reading the story of the siege was heartbreaking. (Though that Jim Bowie was a horrible scoundrel.)

I had dinner on the Riverwalk and enjoyed meandering back to the hotel. On the way, I stopped in a convenience store to get buy gum for the race tomorrow. Steve and I collect Christmas tree ornaments from our travels and I spotted a display. What the hey, sometimes I find nice ornaments in odd places. In the center of the display I spotted this one. Because what says Merry Christmas like a gun and "We don't dial 911".

No comments:

Post a Comment