Thursday, September 27, 2007

Singing in the Rain!

Water came from the sky!

If you live somewhere that it rains, then the concept of a little shower isn't a big deal. After a year in San Diego, rain is a surprise to me. When I moved here, I didn't notice the absence of precipitation. Of course, not noticing the lack of rain is why my front yard looks like the valley of death. It didn't occur to me to water the lawn.

Last week's training was kind of a bummer because for the first time in 10 months it rained during a training session. It was drizzling when we got there and I refused to get out of the car. Then it slowed to a mist and I was willing to get moving. Steve tried to convince me that it was good training for Dublin because it is likely enough to rain during the marathon. I gave him the stinkeye for even suggesting it.

About 5 miles into the training distance, the skies opened up and it rained. It rained sort of hard for a 5 whole minutes.

During that 5 minute mini-cloudburst, I had one of those surreal this-is-Southern-California moments. We walked by a TV news crew doing a live broadcast about the rain. The broadcaster was dressed in full storm-gear regalia. Imagine what the guys on the Weather Channel wear when they broadcast from a hurricane. That's how this broadcaster was dressed. Of course, the guy holding the camera was wearing the same sort of thing I was wearing: shorts, tee-shirt, and sneakers.

I now live somewhere where a rain shower is news.