Saturday, July 07, 2007

I Lied

You're not late unless you arrive after I do. I'm always late - not terribly late, but pushing the outer limits of on-timeness. Our TNT training sessions officially start at 7 a.m., but we never leave for the walk/run until about 7:45. So I usually amble in at about 7:35. The downside of this lateness is that I never get good parking at training events. Normally I have spectacular Parkma (or Parking Karma), but when I get to training locations I expect to walk quite a bit. Today I parked nearly a mile into the trail, and I had to walk back to meet the team at the starting point.

Our training location was along the shores of The Big Bay starting at Spanish Landing, then a lap around Harbor Island, along the Embarcadero, past the Star of India tall ship, the U.S.S. Midway, and a spectacular view of downtown. Finally we walked into Seaport Village. Then we turned around and went back the same way. I love walking along the water; it's so breezy and comfortable. Sometimes I'm still happily surprised that I live by the beach. After being landlocked in Dallas for so long, living on the coast is glorious.

The official distance for today was 10 miles - plus that mile from the car (and back to it). My knee was really fine until about mile 9.5. Then it really, really hurt. When I started to have real pain my walking buddy Steve pointed to my car and said "hey, that's your car. You could stop." Remember when I said this: I'd love to complete the full 10 miles, but I'll stop if I can't do it without pain. I'll probably be pouty if I can't finish, but I will stop. Of course, I didn't do that. I insisted on finishing that final distance.

The total for today was close to 12 miles - nearly 10 of which were pain-free. I'll be on the couch with ice packs on my knees if you need me.